The construction was ahead of legal regulations, as the Seym passed the Act on the Construction of the Port of Gdynia on 23 September 1922.
In 1920 Poland received one hundred and forty kilometres of coastline under the Treaty of Versailles. It was difficult to find a place along the entire length of the Polish coastline that would guarantee real access to the sea, both in economic and military terms. There were only a few marinas along the coastline. The blockade of Polish trade and shipping that the Free City of Gdansk introduced at that time was a clear sign to the authorities of our country that the construction of a Polish independent port is not only a need but also a must.
As Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski, the builder of the port and city of Gdynia, said, "Poland without its own sea coast and without its own fleet will never be either united, or independent, or economically and politically independent, or respected in the great family of states and nations, or able to secure the living conditions, progress work and prosperity of its citizens"./p>
“The most convenient location for building a war port (also a trade port, when required) is Gdynia, specifically the lowland between Gdynia and Oksywie, situated 16 km from the New Port in Gdansk,” wrote in his report engineer Tadeusz Wenda, who was sent to Pomerania to find the best place for the future Polish port. His arguments were that Gdynia had favourable hydrographic conditions, was sheltered from the winds and there was a railway station nearby.
Initially, it was the construction of a 550-metre-long wooden pier for the Temporary War Port and Fishermen's Hostel. Engineer Jan Śmidowicz, Head of the Construction Branch of the Society of Engineering Works, became the construction manager of the initial port investment.
Within a few years, the Port of Gdynia became the largest port on the Baltic Sea and one of the largest European ports, ahead of Copenhagen, Bremen, Amsterdam, Genoa, Naples and Trieste in terms of turnover. Along with the port, Gdynia also grew, which turned from a fishing village with just over 100 inhabitants into a city with a population of nearly 130,000 (1939).
This is how the Port of Gdynia was created, and on its basis the modern port city of Gdynia. From the very beginning the port has played an important role in building the present and future.
Currently, the Port of Gdynia is a modern seaport on the southern Baltic Sea, constantly developing. It is an acknowledged brand of the intra-European logistics centre. Modern infrastructure and terminals of the port of Gdynia are used by world’s and Europe’s biggest world shipping operators. Constant growth of cargo handling and good forecasts are the motivation for further actions to develop the Port.