The Port Fire Brigade – history
The construction of the port of Gdynia that started in 1922 required appropriate fire protection of the newly built port facilities. The Volunteer Fire Brigade was the first one in the Port of Gdynia. It was established at the mechanical workshops of the Maritime Office, which at the turn of 1929/1930 was transformed into Port Fire Brigade.
The brigade was originally composed of three and then five fire-fighting and special sections. The fire brigade, just as it is today, was involved in two main kinds of activities: preventive and intervention.
With the outbreak of World War II, the PFB was engaged in the defence and combating the effects of air attacks in the area of the port and the city of Gdynia. After the liberation in April 1945, the PFB was reactivated. At the beginning it was one of the units of the Professional City Fire Brigade, and then it was brought under the control of the General Maritime Office. The control over the Port Fire Brigades was transferred from the Maritime Offices to the Ports’ Authorities on 1 April 1950. The special sections to fight fires on ships at sea were established in 18 August, 1978 following the recommendation of the Chief Inspector of Fire Protection in the Port Fire Brigades. On November 7, 1988 following the decision of the MPH Gdynia Chief Executive, the Chemical Rescue Section commenced its operations.